The earliest record of the bells is to be found in the parish register commencing 1714. The note is as follows:
“On Friday the 8th day of December, in the year 1775, the tenor third and treble bells were returned being recast at Gloucester”.
In 1875 the tenor bell was found to be cracked and the two oldest bells were so badly damaged that they needed to be replaced. In addition to replacing the damaged bells two smaller bells were cast to make a ring of eight.
The bells are inscribed:
Following the augmentation of the bells to eight in 1875, a note in the parish magazine of December 1876 appealed for additional contributions to cover the cost of the glazing of the windows in the tower, the replacement of the clock and the installation of a chiming apparatus.
The last major refurbishment of the bells was carried out by Mears and Stainbank in 1954. It was then that the old wooden headstocks were removed and the “crowns” cut off the bells. The headstocks were replaced with cast iron and the bells were rehung on ball bearings which had been fitted in 1937. The only bell remaining with its original crown and a wooden headstock is the “Parsons” or “Prayer” bell which is inscribed “GOD SAVE HIS CHURCH”.
The details of the bells are as follows:
In January 2006 work was completed on the installation of four additional bells which were installed in the tower by Eayre & Smith Limited. Theses bells being much lighter than famous eight bells, have enabled young children from the village to learn to handle a bell and join the band of ringers.
The light bells have been so successful that an order has been placed with Taylors of Loughborough for the installation of another two bells to create an independent ring of six bells.